Monday of Week 18

Readings: Nm 11:4-15 / Ps 81 / Mt 14:13-21

EXPANSION



Sometimes life is hard. And we feel empty, lacking in energy and strength. We feel hungry and the bread which God gives us – even the precious bread of his Son – seems not to be enough. Like Israel in the midst of the exodus we shout out: «We see nothing before us»! The life we have to manage becomes too much big for our capacities, like a people who need to be grown up. That's the lament of Moses to the Lord: «Was it I who conceived all this people?».

But just when we feel down and we are troubled, we have the chance to expand the spectrum of the life we are supposed to be able to live. The gospel today is a pure eye-opener. John the Baptist is dead, Jesus is definitely sad and wants to stay in «a deserted place by himself». A very licit desire! But the crowds hear of this and reach him. Regardless of the need of a time of prayer for his cousin, Jesus doesn't close his eyes before the people who need some help, and so his heart is moved with pity for them. He begins to cure and to teach. He continues to share his life with the mankind.

When we are weak and empty we think our life is not really useful. We tend to hide the best part of us: our heart. Because we think that a broken heart can't serve anybody. It's not true. The more our heart is shattered, the more we are able to give blood and love to our next. Like Mother Teresa used to pray: «Lord,
 when I am hungry, send me someone to feed;
 when I am thirsty, send me someone who needs a drink;
 when I am cold, send me someone to warm;
 when I am sad, send me someone to cheer;
when I need understanding, send me someone who needs mine;
 when I need to be looked after, send me someone to care for;
 when I think only of myself, draw my thoughts to another».


Commenti

Unknown ha detto…
Pietro è davvero profondamente umano in questo confuso correre verso Gesù,
e Cristo è davvero profondamente divino nel rispondere al suo profondo desiderio di felicità,
quando - con sguardo squisitamente materno - gli dice :
" io ti voglio bene, ma è piu' in là che devi andare "...

amare ed essere amati
è una ferita inquietante e meravigliosa,
luogo di incontro tra Dio e l'uomo...

Cristina